How can I get my attorney to do his job? He won't answer phone calls or e-mail communications.

Medina, OH |

Hired Florida attorney to handle stepmother's estate. Attorney told me it would take 2 weeks to file estate in Probate Court. Attorney took 3 months to file estate. Sold stepmother's car (paid off car loan). Sold house and contents; proceeds sent to attorney's office for safekeeping. Directed attorney's paralegal to pay two ambulance bills in March, 2012 (about $200 total). Paralegal refused, even though funds were available, and both ambulance companies filed claims against estate. Creditor claim period for estate expired around May 6, 2012. Both ambulance companies have been paid, and last claim was released on June 19, 2012. Attorney has had last "satisfaction/release of claim" from last ambulance company for > 1 month, but refuses to close estate, or release estate funds.

Start by keeping track of how many phone calls/voice messages you have made/left. Next you could send a certified letter. If you still cannot get a response from your lawyer, consider calling the local bar association or Ohio Supreme Court's disciplinary committee. If your estate is damaged due to the lawyer "vanishing," you may also want to investigate a claim for legal malpractice, but be advised that Ohio's statute of limitations for filing a claim for legal malpractice is only one-year.

You should write him a letter and send it registered.
Be polite and detailed about your concerns.
Give him a short but reasonable period to explain.
If no response or a fluffy answer, file a bar complaint.

Professional ethics topics

Recommended articles about Professional ethics