How can I get my arrest record and mug shot removed from a local newspapers police blotter article on the Internet?

Bolingbrook, IL |

Why doesn't expungement or sealing arrest records pertain to removing arrest records online? Even after a case is expunged, the arrest record is still visible on the Internet. Should I approach the managing editor of the local paper to remove the police blotter?

1. Expungement only erases your crimnal record. That does not address online articles or placement of informatoin about you and your past.

Hire a service to bury those internet articles.

2. You can ask, but it's not likely to get you anywhere. Arrest records, like civil records, are publicly available, and the newspaper editor of your local paper, as well as editors of online databases, are within their rights to publish public information.

PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE YOU COMMENT, EMAIL ME OR PHONE ME. I'm only licensed in CA. This answer doesn't make me your lawyer, and neither do follow-up comments and/or emails and/or phone calls, and you shouldn't expect me to respond to your further questions if you haven't hired me. We need an actual agreement confirmed in writing before any attorney-client relationship is formed. This answer doesn't constitute legal advice, and shouldn't be relied on, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue.

3. You can't.

Expungement orders apply to the government agencies that have records of your case. Newspapers, web sites, and private data collectors are PRIVATE and thus not covered by the orders. In fact, an order by a court to a newspaper (or other private information repositories) to remove an article would violate the First Amendment.

4. The First Amendment permits journalists, publishers and editors to publish such materials. Even if you successfully expunged the arrest record by the court order that commanded the erase such record from the law enforcement depositories, you have no legal power to force a newspaper or web site to erase or expunge any material covered by the freedom of speech under the First Amendement .

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one’s personal legal issues. Contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 101, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602 http://alexanderivakhnenko.com