Skip to main content

How can I get my divorce if me and my ex husband are out of the country?

Boston, MA |
Filed under: Divorce

We were married under the American law. We have been separated for 4 years, and now we are both leaving in Brazil. We both agreed on the divorce. How can we get divorced since we are no longer in the USA? can we still file for divorce and hire an attorney to represent us?

Attorney Answers 4


You should be able to get your divorce in Brazil. You may need to get a certified copy of the marriage certificate, but if the laws are similar to Massachusetts with both of you residing in Brazil, you should be able to get the divorce in Brazil. I would suggest speaking to an attorney in Brazil to confirm this is the case.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


Counsel gave you good advice. Just because you were married here doesn't mean that you have to divorce here. Speak to an attorney in Brazil and see if you can dissolve the marriage there.

This is not legal advice and is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. You should speak to an attorney for further information.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


I agree with both of my fellow counselors that you should be able to get a divorce in Brazil. I also suggest that you consult with an attorney in Brazil first. In addition, as you probably know, there is a large Brazilian community in the Framingham area of Middlesex County. If you believe that you need additional information, I would suggest that you consult with at least two or three attorneys in Massachusetts, who are knowledgeable about divorce law in Brazil. Most attorneys are happy to give you a free 30 minute consultation. If you have any friends, who are from Brazil and now live in Massachusetts, ask them if they can recommend any good divorce attorneys in Massachusetts. I don't believe that you will need an attorney from Massachusetts but it would be helpful to get a free consultation with one, if you believe you need to, after you speak with an attorney in Brazil.

Mark as helpful


You probably cannot divorce in Massachufsetts,if neither one of you still lives here and has not lived here for the last year ( although you do not say how long you have been in Brazil).

Mark as helpful

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics