How can I get joint custody back?

Asked 12 months ago - Key West, FL

I was incarcerated in Sept 2010 for two and half years. Shortly before this my child's father was awarded temporary custody. Now that I'm out and have been for 6 months, how can I get back joint custody? There was a DCF case but it was closed when I agreed to his temporary custody in my absence. What can I do? My parental rights have not been removed.

1. Tami Lane Augen

Pro

4

Answered . You can file a supplemental petition for modification. We no longer use the term "custody" in Florida. What you will be seeking is shared parental responsibility and a timesharing and parenting plan. Good luck to you.

Tami L. Augen Rhodes

2. Arica Lynn Braaten

Pro

2

Answered . I agree with Attorney Augen. File a Supplemental Petition for Modification and ask for timesharing and shared parental responsibility.

3. Ophelia Genarina Bernal-Mora

Pro

2

Answered . If your parental rights are still intact, then you can file a supplemental petition for modification and request the court implement time sharing for yourself. Depending on how things have gone for the past 6 months since you got out, etc. will determine the extent of the time sharing. Keep in mind it may begin as supervised time sharing and then gradually increase to more.