Skip to main content

How can I get free legal help from harassment, and can i sue the police department for not responding to a call in a timely fash

Independence, KS |

i have neighbors that moved in around last november, they constantly harass me, by doing things, yelling profanitys t me while i sit on my porch, threat me, harm my pets, tear up the property i am currently renting, by breaking windows, kicking porch pillars till they crack, they still from my porch and garge, they even had me falsely arrested, when i call tonight around 12: 30 due to the neighbors, drunk, on thier porch, yelling, cussing, howling like dogs, they did not respond, i called several times, before they did respond at 3 45 am, there are many continuing circumstances, but these are the main ones i am dealing with now

the whole reason this is happening, is cause my neighbor used to be on the independence police department, his good friend the ex dog- catcher /ex police officer got fired for sexually harrassing me, now his friend is harrassing me, and a few of his other friends, are starting in to, i need help, and i dont see why i cant get it, i would move if i could afford to but i am disabled, living on a fixed income, i cant just up and go, ive tryed calling legal aide, the say its criminal not civial, so they wont help me, and i cant go to the lawyers here for a case against the city, cause they have contracts with the city, as public defenders and prosecutors, so where exactly does that leave a person like me? when i go to court the 26th for disorderly conduct, which is completely false do i just plea no contest, and pay the fines, or do i say the truth and plea not guilty? and if i do plea not guilty, will it go to trial, and will they have to give me a fair lawyer then?

Attorney Answers 2



Police will likely tell you they had higher priority calls than your noise complaint.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this matter.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

1 comment

Rixon Charles Rafter III

Rixon Charles Rafter III


FWIW, why should an attorney donate hundreds or thousands of dollars to you-- there is no compelling social injustice or matter or wide public concern associated with your situation.


You should contact a local lawyer to discuss your criminal charge. In Kansas, Kansas Legal Services provides free/affordable legal services to individuals with low income.

If the situation is as bad as you described, you may want to consider filing your own protection from abuse -- that will give you an opportunity to explain the situation to the judge. If you prevail, it may provide some relief.

Mark as helpful

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics