How can I get Form I-797 or I-140

Asked 12 months ago - 05481

I have recieved a reply from NVC to scan a copy of Form I-797 or Form I-140 and send them through email.I want to know How can I get the copy of above mentioned forms

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Giacomo Jacques Behar


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . By (gently) asking your employer and his immigration lawyer to provide you a copy. An I-140 is the EMPLOYER'S petition, and as such, his exclusive property. You don't have a right to it, not even through a FOIA request to USCIS.

    Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that... more
  2. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . By talking to the employer.

    The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed... more
  3. Tripti Sharad Sharma


    Contributor Level 20


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . First, talk to your employer and ask for the I-140 filing receipt. If the company is non co-operative, seek your file under FOIA. Most documents relevant to your status are usually provided though some information may not be released.

    This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known.... more
  4. Harry Asatrian

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Your employer can provide you with same.

    Mr. Asatrian's practice is dedicated to the area of immigration and nationality law. Please note the information... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

US visas

There are many types of immigrant and non-immigrant visas, including work visas, student visas, and marriage visas.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,575 answers this week

3,247 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,575 answers this week

3,247 attorneys answering