How can I get donations from people to pay for an upcoming trial?

George Zimmerman received thousands of dollars in donations for his court case/trial. I think he received in the area of $86,000 (???) I dont know how he did this, but can anyone please advise if there is a way to receive donations for an upcoming trial? It isn't for me, it's for a friend who is in prison right now IN CONNECTICUT facing murder charges. He is in DIRE NEED OF HELP, he needs an EXCELLENT LAWYER REALLY BAD BUT CANNOT AFFORD IT & we don't think a "court appointed lawyer" will do him any good. Please help out .....

West Haven, CT -

James Joseph Bagley

James Joseph Bagley

Personal Injury Lawyer - Providence, RI

Don't be quick to judge a court-appointed lawyer. They are often highly driven, passionate people who have given up the possibility of making "big lawyer money" by working for the state so that they can do work for people like your friend. Good luck.

David Lawrence Traylor

David Lawrence Traylor

Criminal Defense Attorney - Dallas, TX

There are a number of websites that allow people to set up funds to support various causes. You would have to search for such a site and see which one you think would be best for your needs. Be careful not to fall into any scams and also don't say or do anything fraudulent to obtain funding. Of course, in George Zimmerman's case, funding was boosted by heavy publicity and a segment of the population who, rightly or wrongly, felt Zimmerman was justified in his actions.

Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

Criminal Defense Attorney - Chicago, IL

I respectfully disagree.
Court appointed attorneys from the Office of the Public Defender are excellently trained and have more than adequate legal training, experience and ability to handle such a serious case. In fact, to my knowledge, many former PDs become private counsels eventually for that very reason of having acquired terrific exposure to the criminal law and all of its intricate aspects.

Thomas E. McCabe

Thomas E. McCabe

Criminal Defense Attorney - Fairfield, CT

If you have people willing to donate funds I am sure you can find an attorney...otherwise the Public Defender's Office is free.