How can I get divorced living abroad?

Asked over 1 year ago - Miami, FL

Married to a US citizen, he does not want to get divorced. I am back in my home country. Residency card was taken away last time I flew to US. Went to inmigration office and they will not issue a tourism visa since I am still married to a US citizen. What can I do? I am afraid he is collecting taxes on my name...

1. Stephen D. Berman

Pro

8

Answered . File for divorce in your country. Hire a lawyer in your country and ask him or her what you need to do.

2. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

8

Answered . By filing for a divorce in the country you now live in.

A foreign divorce, if legitimate and valid where issued will also be recognized in the US.

3. Alice Antonovsky

3

Answered . You should go to your local attorney and ask for the procedures on getting divorced in you home country when your spouse is outside the country and does not consent. Every state and definitely every country has different rules concerning such divorces.

4. Lalita Haran

2

Answered . Contact an attorney locally to get this job done. Best Wishes!

Lalita Haran
    13295 Illinois st ste 128
    Carmel IN 46032
    Ph: (317) 660-6174
    www.haranlaw.com