Skip to main content

How can I get divorced living abroad?

Miami, FL |

Married to a US citizen, he does not want to get divorced. I am back in my home country. Residency card was taken away last time I flew to US. Went to inmigration office and they will not issue a tourism visa since I am still married to a US citizen. What can I do? I am afraid he is collecting taxes on my name...

Attorney Answers 4


File for divorce in your country. Hire a lawyer in your country and ask him or her what you need to do.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.

Mark as helpful

8 lawyers agree


By filing for a divorce in the country you now live in.

A foreign divorce, if legitimate and valid where issued will also be recognized in the US.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

8 lawyers agree


You should go to your local attorney and ask for the procedures on getting divorced in you home country when your spouse is outside the country and does not consent. Every state and definitely every country has different rules concerning such divorces.

The answers offered here are purely informational and do not create an attorney-client relationship. For more detailed information or to schedule a consultation please contact our office at (718) 924-2896.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


Contact an attorney locally to get this job done. Best Wishes!

Lalita Haran
13295 Illinois st ste 128
Carmel IN 46032
Ph: (317) 660-6174

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Tax law topics

Recommended articles about Tax law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics