How can I get copies of my child support and custody agreement?

Asked about 1 year ago - White Hall, MD

My ex girlfriend and I have a 4 year old son. We went through mediation and settled on visitation, child support and custody. She is now "changing" the visitation schedule to suit her needs. I can not find my copy of these papers to see what she in entitled to do. How can I get copies.
My son also does not have my last name. My name is on the birth certificate. What do I need to do to give him my last name.

1. Bennett James Wills

Pro

1

Answered . If you have been to court over the visitation, custody, and support issues, then you can go to the clerk's office and get a copy of the file and everything in it including the orders from the judge. If there's been no court, then you'll need to contact the ex girlfriend and hope she has copies.

She's not free to change a court order as she sees fit if one exists. You have rights and can ask the court to enforce the orders against her.

If there's no court orders, then it's probably time you file.

As for the name here's some good information - http://www.courts.state.md.us/family/forms/drin...

You can do it yourself but I recommend getting a family attorney to help with everything. Good luck.

2. Michael Gene DeHaven

Answered . You should contact the mediator if you did not convert the agreement into an Order. As Mr. Wills states, you can move to enforce the agreement if it became a court Order. If it did not, then I recommend filing a complaint to establish custody & visitation. You can then attempt to incorporate the agreement into an Order establishing a visitation schedule that the court can then enforce. It appears that you live in Baltimore County, so please feel free to call me if you would like to discuss your options.
    Michael G. DeHaven
    Smith, Gildea & Schmidt, LLC
    600 Washington Avenue
    Towson, MD 21204
    (410) 821-0070

3. Lorrianne Jeanette Rice

Pro

Answered . You can contact the mediator or go to the clerks office at the Courthouse. The mother can assist you with adding your name to the birth certificate with vital records otherwise you will need a court order.