Skip to main content

How can i get charged with a dui if i called the cops and told them what happened?

El Paso, TX |

i was upset about getting chaptered out of the ARMY, and I ran my car into a fence. soon as i did it i called the cops and told them what happened: they asked me if i was depressed and if i had been drinking, i told them yes, and i submitted to a breathalyzer: of course i had alcohol in my system, it was new years, (my birthday) and i was upset.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


See my answer to your previous question. You seem to think the police can't charge you with a crime if you confess?

Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers offers everyone a free consultation to discuss their case. Feel free to call her office at 214-365-9800 to make an appointment (phones are answered 24 hours) or visit her website at for more information about her services and recent victories.


If you volunteered information to the police before you were arrested then you have a significant problem. Just because you summoned police does not give you a defense to what you say or what evidence you provide (such as a sample of your breath or blood).


Your confession is part of why you were charged. That's why you never speak to the police.


See my previous answer as well. Thank you for your service to our country. There are no points for being honest and admitting your guilt when it comes to a DWI allegation. That doesn't mean that you don't have a defense. You must consult a local DWI Attorney. Most offer a free consultation. Good Luck, and I hope this helps.

James R. "Jim" Butler,Houston,Texas,DWI Lawyer. Free Consultation .Call (713)236-8744. I only represent people accused of DWI in Texas.

Get Avvo’s 3-part DUI email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

DUI topics

Recommended articles about DUI

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer