How can I get case laws for a 2nd degree robbery?

Asked 3 months ago - Tampa, FL

I am aware of the law library but is there any specific searches I can do on line from home?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Christopher Robert Dillingham II

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You can try using, but doing blind searches is unlikely to get you far. Your best bet is to go to a law library and ask a research assistant to show you the criminal law treatises. After you find germane cases, then you do searches based off those relevant cases and issues.

    You need to hire an attorney. If practicing the law was so easy that anyone with Internet access could do it, then everyone could be a lawyer, but that's not reality. The reality is that we spend three years in law school and learn how to research and cite legal precedent.

    I only practice in the areas of personal injury, federal civil rights, and criminal law. I will not respond to... more
  2. Stephen George Henderson


    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . There are not any good "free" case law searchable websites. The two main ones are Westlaw and Lexis, but attorneys like myself pay a substantial fee to access those websites. You may be able to do a one time access, but the money you would spend would be better spent on an attorney.

  3. Jeffrey B. Lampert


    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . Easy to find Florida Statutes on-line, and then when you get the statute number that applies google that for Florida.

    I hope you found this response to be helpful. If so, your clicking "helpful" and/or "best answer" helps my Avvo... more
  4. Carol Jean Messina Herman

    Contributor Level 5

    Answered . I agree with my colleagues. Seek the help of a private attorney. Without knowledge of your criminal history, all the facts and all the evidence, I can only guess as to what the court will sentence you.
    If your initial charge is a second degree felony, there is no usual time for sentencing a VOP, only that you will have no bond for the period of jail time waiting for court date. Although jail time can be used to lessen the sentencing time, the judge, can revoke your probation without waiting until you are convicted of a new crime.
    The judge may give you additional incarceration with the possibility of parole after serving 2 yrs. If you have a long criminal record with similar offenses, FL allows up to 15 yrs. of prison and a maxim fine of $10,000. With a low-level of criminal history, you will probably receive 1 to 5 yrs. with parole.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,368 answers this week

2,979 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,368 answers this week

2,979 attorneys answering