How can i get back child support due to my 5 year old daughter

Asked over 2 years ago - Amityville, NY

15,000 in arrears, NY, already filed a petition doesnt seem as if anything is being done

Attorney answers (3)

  1. David Alexander Browde


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You follow through on your petition and get a judgment against the non custodial parent, then pursue collection.

    Under the rules governing the conduct of attorneys in New York it may be necessary to remind you that this answer... more
  2. Louis Lawrence Sternberg

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If the non-payment is willful, you can ask that the court incarcerate the non-custodial parent. It is best to contact a local attorney if you are having difficulty enforcing a support order. You should also realize that you can ask the court to pay your counsel fees.

    It is always advisable to contact an attorney. For a consultation, please contact my office at 516-669-3295. We... more
  3. Hayley R. Greenberg

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I am sorry to hear about your situation.

    You should contact an attorney to discuss your questions as additional information would be helpful. Why is nothing being done? What happened with your petition? Etc.

    I wish you the best of luck.

    Please remember that I do not normally monitor these questions after I have posted a reply.

    Free phone consultation Monday — Thursday 1-5 pm.
    Hayley Greenberg
    Greenberg & Merola, LLP
    Attorneys at Law
    521 5th Ave. Ste. 1700
    New York, NY 10175
    (212) 593-6111, facsimile (516) 887-1720
    (Additional offices: Brooklyn, Queens, Long Island)

Related Topics

Child support arrears

Child support arrears refers to support payments that are past due. There are several available options for collecting (or repaying) unpaid child support.

Child support enforcement

Child support enforcement is generally handled by the state. Enforcement methods can include withholding income, tax refund offsets, and license suspension.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

17,027 answers this week

2,339 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

17,027 answers this week

2,339 attorneys answering