Skip to main content

How can I get an annulment in another state(Hawaii)?

Tacoma, WA |

I am married in Washinton state. Although we have been seperated a year now. I don't want a divorce. Neither does my husband of 10 years. Recently, I went to Hawaii and oops got married. To a friend. Can we get an annulment? How?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Please be careful, you have committed a crime and your marriage in Hawaii is voidable and invalid, please work with a Hawaiian attny and they will help you, take good care.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.


You need to contact a Hawaii attorney. There are criminal ramifications to being married to two different people. There is a process to get an annulment or a decree of invalidity. But, you should take action very soon. There are some attorneys that are licensed to practice in Hawaii and Washington. Looking for one may be a good idea. I think Regina Taylor of Bremerton practiced family law in Hawaii and she practices that area in Washington. She might be a good resource to contact.


Your marriage in Hawaii is invalid. You need to contact an attorney licensed to practice law in Hawaii. To knowingly marry another while you are sill married is a crime.

Please note that THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT INTENDED AS LEGAL ADVICE and are for informational purposes only. This response is not intended to create any attorney-client relationship and is only based on the limited facts given. The response might change should additional facts be learned and should not be relied on as legal advice. It is recommended that you consult with an attorney who can properly assess the situation, as well as all pertinent facts, prior to taking any action based on the foregoing statements

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer