How can I get a US passport outside the country?

Asked over 2 years ago - Fairfax, VA

I went AWOLabout 8 months ago, from Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio Texas. I was on AIT and now Im planning to go back to the US.
Im naturalized in OKlahoma, but went I went to El Salvador I travel with my old passport so I never got the US question is if I can get a US passport in the Embassy here??
Am I gonna get deteined at the embassy or will they give the passport to travel to the US to turn myself in?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Karin Wolman


    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . You did not say WHEN you naturalized, nor on what basis, but this really matters: Anyone who naturalized through military service after November 24, 2003 faces possible revocation of their US citizenship based on post-natz misconduct or failure to serve honorably in the military for an aggregate of five years. If you naturalized as a civilian under INA Section 316 or 319, then you are not subject to this revocation.You need to consult an attorney.

    This is general information only. It is not intended as a substitute for legal advice, and does not create an... more
  2. Elizabeth Clare Surin


    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You have a big problem. Get yourself a lawyer asap, preferably a JAG.

    An attorney-client relationship is not formed by my responses to questions on Avvo. My responses are not intended... more
  3. Gen Kimura

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Please call to the nearest U.S. Embassy/Consulate. They might be able to help you out.

    This answer is of a general nature and should not be relied upon as final, nor is it intended as legal advice.... more
  4. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . US Embassy/Consulate

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,109 answers this week

3,007 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,109 answers this week

3,007 attorneys answering