How can I get a divorce if the other party is refusing to comply, show up, or answer to the present proceedings/motions?

What typically happens if husband ignores all current and future motions, doesn't show up for any of the future court hearings including contempt, doesn't produce or provide any discovery, doesn't respond to even his own attorney? Can I get divorced before the trial if he behaves like this?

Seattle, WA -

Bruce Clement

Bruce Clement

Family Law Attorney - Auburn, WA

(1) See my earlier answers to other questions you posted. (2) If your husband is in total noncompliance at the time of trial, the court can order that only your evidence will be considered. (3) If your husband has never responded to your petition, you can file a motion for default. You will probably have to give him prior notice of the motion. See my AVVO Legal Guides on contempt, default and discovery for more information about the legal issues raised by your inquiry. Please keep in mind that although these Legal Guides are often informative, they are no substitute for legal advice from an attorney you have retained for consultation or representation. Click on my photo. On my AVVO home page click on "View Contributions" or scroll down further and click on "Legal Guides." Scroll down the list of my 29 Legal Guides and select the topics relevant to your question. If you like my answer and Legal Guides, please make sure you mark them as “helpful.”

Sponsored Listing
Bennett James Wills

Bennett James Wills

Appeals Lawyer - Baltimore, MD

You can ask for a default and win if your husband doesn't want to cooperate.

Matthew Thomas Majeski

Matthew Thomas Majeski

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Woodbury, MN

You follow the proper procedures to proceed by default. If your husband continues to fail to participate he risks the court granting you everything you're asking for in the divorce.

Ask your questions on our Q&A forum. It's free and anonymous.

Need to find an attorney? Browse our lawyer directory.