How can I get a divorce from my verbally and physically abusive husband when I am unemployed?

Asked over 2 years ago - Conyers, GA

There are small children involved and have been witnesses and victims of his abuse as well.

1. Rachel Aliza Elovitz

5

1

Answered . You can call the Rockdale County Bar Association and ask about a pro bono attorney referall: Go to http://www.rockdalebar.org/. You can also file for a divorce yourself, but it is wise to have the benefit of an experienced family law attorney. The attorney will discuss the issues of custody and parenting time with you...the history of abuse you mentioned, whether you need to request that the Court put certain safety parameters in place (including, as an example, supervised visits between the father and your children), and the attorney will review with you the Georgia child support guidelines, what you want to do going forward regarding your children's health insurance coverage and uncovered medical expenses, how marital assets and debts are divided in Georgia upon divorce, whether you need COBRA, whether your case is one where alimony would be appropriate, etc. The above said, if your husband is physically abusing you and the children, you should make your safety and that of the children a priority - Here are some shelters and safety resources from the Rockdale County Resource Guide:
    Victim Witness Assistance – 770-929-4006
    Prevent Child Abuse Rockdale - Parent Hotline (770) 483-7333 http://www.pcarockdale.org/
    Department of Family and Children’s Services - 770-388-5025
    Take care of yourself and the children.

2. Joshua G. Schiffer

Pro

Answered . There are a variety of social service organizations that will be able to provide assistance to you in this difficult period. I would advise you to reach out locally to your church or house of worship first, as many fine practitioners dedicate their pro-bono services to their immediate community through their church. You need to get help and get it fast. No one should be victimized by domestic violence and exposing your children to this type of behavior can cause long lasting behavioral and health issues. Often times we see a pattern of abuse be handed down from generation to generation and it is up to a Mom or Dad to stop that cycle.
    You may also get some assistance from your local prosecutors office as many of these offices have a "victim/witness" division dedicated to assisting people who are in similar circumstances. Lastly, there are larger social services groups, such as the United Way, that may have additional resources for you. Good luck and be safe.