Skip to main content

How can I get a death certificate with the cause of death of my former spouse if we share a child in common?

Kearny, NJ |

I recieved a phone called from my ex brother in law telling m ethat his brother die in an accident but when I ask yfor the death certificate he said that they declared him death the day before but he would be disconnected from the machine the very same day of the phone call. I cannot find any records of obituaries. He is careful on his last email saying that his brother had an accident but he does not say that he is death. This has happened before and it was a lie. I need proof before telling my daugther something that it doesnt sound true to me. I asked him for a death certificate but it has been 3 days and he has ignored my request.

They reside in Los Angeles California

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Depending on when this happened, there may not BE a death certificate, yet. It often takes a week or more before they are issued. You can check with the probate court to see if anything has been filed with them. You can also request a demand for notice, on behalf of your daughter.

If you do not get any definitive information/documentation in the next week or so, it would be a good idea to contact a probate lawyer.

James Frederick

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!


Sorry for your loss. You can request a death certificate from the Probate Court or also check with the Coroner's office in County where your family member passed. If you need assistance call an experinced Probate Lawyer in your area. Depending on the circumstances, the death certificate may not be issued right away?

Legal disclaimer:This message does not constitute legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Any statements are made for general informational purposes and do not constitute legal advice. No attorney-client privilege is created by this communication. Attorney is licensed in California only.


Unfortunately, due to the concern for ID Theft, the vast majority of states and municipalities are refusing to issue death certificates to anyone who is a former spouse. The Office of Vital Statistics of the municipality in which he died (or lived), and if that fails, the state, would have a copy.

It may be possible, as the legal guardian of your daughter, if she is a minor, to request it so that your daughter can qualify for Social Security Survivor Benefits, but you will need her death certificate reflecting your deceased husband as her father.

The majority of states do not allow probate of a Will or administration of an estate for 10 days following death. If, or when, this time has passed, you can pay a minor fee to the Surrogate of the County in which your former spouse resided to see if a Will was probated, or an application for probate of his intestate estate has been made.

The foregoing is not intended to be legal advice upon which you may rely as I have not been retained for this purpose.


Have you gotten this resolved yet? Your question is unclear. If you spell out more details maybe someone can help. Good luck

Please note that these answers are provided as a community service and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Wills and estates topics

Recommended articles about Wills and estates

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer