Skip to main content

How can I get a copy of my background check?

Glendale, CA |

Will county clerks provide people with copies of their background check? or search to see if there is anything on there?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Disclaimer: The materials provided below are informational and should not be relied upon as legal advice.

For purposes of this answer, I assume that you are referring to a pre-employment background check.

Background checks are often requested by employers on job candidates. Pre-employment background reports are usually compiled from several different databases and include information related to criminal records, commercial records and financial records and, in certain instances, past employment. Because the reports are compiled from several different sources, a complete report is not something that can be requested from the county clerk. While certain information on the report may be obtained from the county clerk (e.g., real property records or liens against real property due to outstanding judgments), a complete "background check" cannot be obtained from the county clerk.

Prospective employers use the services of third-party companies to order background checks. If you recently applied for a job and the prospective employer conducted a background check, you can request a copy of the report from the prospective employer. Alternatively, there are several third-party services online that you can order a report (e.g., and


No, most will not. And checking in one county only is not a very comprehensive way to check what others may find. Instead, get the Dept. of Justice background report. Go here to begin:

And if you are interested in trying to expunge your record to make job hunting easier then you can check out the articles on my web site here:


Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer