How can I get a continuance on my court date for speeding?

Asked over 1 year ago - Menomonie, WI

I got a speeding ticket on 5/30/13 and my court date is 7/17/13, next wednesday. I will be out of town and will not be able to be at court that day. I have no other speeding tickets on my record and no other criminal record.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. J Steven House


    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Generally a not guilty plea can be entered by mail on civil traffic offenses. Call the court clerk and ask about their local procedures for adjourning (or rescheduling) the initial appearance or for entry of a not guilty plea by writing. This page provides a very basic example "not guilty notice" form for the Madison Municipal Court:

  2. Michael R Crosner

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Check with your local office of the court clerk

    This is not intended to be legal advise or as legal representation. I am a California personal injury attorney .... more

Related Topics

Speeding tickets

A speeding ticket is given for driving faster than the posted speed limit, including on roads with variable speed limits, which change with conditions.

Gregory Maurice Wagner

Speeding infractions

What to look for in defending you speeding infraction. Citation Look at citaion to see if officer has indicated what type of speed measuring device was use to determine the speed of the... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

19,096 answers this week

2,460 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

19,096 answers this week

2,460 attorneys answering