How can I get a cheap divorce?

Asked about 2 years ago - Warner Robins, GA

I have not seen my spouse since 2004, I don/t know where he is or how to get in touch with him.

1. Howard M Lewis

Pro

1

6

Answered . most states allow a divorce by publication and you would have to pay the filing fee (unless the court waives it under any indigency requirments they may have) and the publication fee, plus whatever a local attny may charge, so yes, the answer is yes you can. Take care.

2. Glen Edward Ashman

Pro

2

Answered . If you can prove the court you attempted to locate him and cannot you likely can do a case by publication.

Fees vary by attorney and also by whether you have children. Although I don't practice in your area, the simplest publication divorces we handle are about $800 counting court costs and publication fees.

Courts will want to know if you have checked the last known address, former employers, Google, Facebook, and called family and friends. If there are children they will usually want to see an unsuccessful child support case with the state.

3. Anthony M. Zezima

Pro

1

Answered . If there are no children, then a divorce by publication would be a $1500 fee plus costs of $300.

4. Brett Ladd

Pro

1

Answered . If there is a legal aid office in your area (perhaps Macon?), then they probably have some
    forms to do the job. $1800 as set forth by the other lawyer is not unreasonable, and will let you sleep at night. If you have kids, don't try it yourself.