Skip to main content

How can I get a cheap divorce?

Warner Robins, GA |
Filed under: Divorce

I have not seen my spouse since 2004, I don/t know where he is or how to get in touch with him.

Attorney Answers 4


If there are no children, then a divorce by publication would be a $1500 fee plus costs of $300.

I am exclusively a family law attorney, practicing primarily in the metro Atlanta, Georgia trial courts. However, I handle appeals from anywhere in Georgia.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


If there is a legal aid office in your area (perhaps Macon?), then they probably have some
forms to do the job. $1800 as set forth by the other lawyer is not unreasonable, and will let you sleep at night. If you have kids, don't try it yourself.

Good luck.

Thanks for reading my response to this question. If your found this answer "Helpful" or "The Best Answer" PLEASE MARK IT, because Avvo awards me points. Thanks! Note that the questioner and any reader do not have an attorney-client relationship formed by our communications on this website. Advice given by me on this website is general advice based on partial information. You should not rely on any advice given without first hiring a lawyer in the area where the case is pending, and providing that lawyer with full information.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


most states allow a divorce by publication and you would have to pay the filing fee (unless the court waives it under any indigency requirments they may have) and the publication fee, plus whatever a local attny may charge, so yes, the answer is yes you can. Take care.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.

Mark as helpful

6 found this helpful

1 lawyer agrees


If you can prove the court you attempted to locate him and cannot you likely can do a case by publication.

Fees vary by attorney and also by whether you have children. Although I don't practice in your area, the simplest publication divorces we handle are about $800 counting court costs and publication fees.

Courts will want to know if you have checked the last known address, former employers, Google, Facebook, and called family and friends. If there are children they will usually want to see an unsuccessful child support case with the state.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you. Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics