How can I get a attorney to represent me with limited income and receive spousal support.

Asked about 1 year ago - Sacramento, CA

My husband was verbally and physically abusive. He would not pay for medical insurance, needed medical operation and abandoned all responsibility. I am disable.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. George Ellis Corson IV

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It will be hard. Attorneys like to be paid for their time. Perhaps the Court will allow you to get an Attorney at your Husband's expense if he has more assets than you. Ask about it.

    I represent Employers, but I can recommend Worker Attorneys in So Cal if you ask.
  2. Joseph Torri

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Each county usually has an organization that may accept cases on a pro bono basis. There are no guarantees that they will accept a client for representation, but it definitely doesn't hurt to ask if they can represent you. The fact that you have a disability, and are a victim of abuse might raise you to the top of their list for representation. I am attaching two organizations in the Sacramento area for you to call. Please let me know if this answer was helpful.


    Voluntary Legal Services Program of Northern California, Inc.
    Primary Address: 517 12th Street
    City: Sacramento
    State: CA
    Zipcode: 95814-1418
    General Phone: 916-551-2116
    Fax: 916-551-2120
    Intake Phone: 916-551-2102
    Counties Served: El Dorado, Placer, Sacramento, San Joaquin, Yolo
    Case Types: Bankruptcy, Consumer, Housing, Public Benefits, Torts
    Other Case Types: Conservatorships, Criminal Records Expungement, Debt Collection Defense, Estate Planning, Guardianships, Landlord/Tenant, Probate
    Case Restrictions: All LSC restrictions
    Web Site:

    Women Escaping A Violent Environment - WEAVE
    Primary Address: 1900 K St
    City: Sacramento
    State: CA
    Zipcode: 95814-4107
    General Phone: 916-448-2321
    Fax: 916-448-0270
    Intake Phone: 916-448-2321
    Counties Served: Sacramento
    Case Types: Domestic Violence
    Case Restrictions: Must be a victim of domestic violence

    This communication does not create an attorney-client relationship. This means that I am not your lawyer and I... more
  3. Isileli Tupou Manaia Mataele

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Unfortunately some cases there are no attorneys available for certain cases if the party cannot retain one. You could contact a few attorneys to consult what they could do for you on a limited representation.

    This is not a comprehensive answer and it is impossible to provide a meaningful response without a consultation.... more
  4. Gregory Paul Benton

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If your husband has the income then he could be ordered to pay for part or all of your attorney fees. Additionally, if there are CP assets that could be liquidated to pay for attorney fees, then the court could order this.

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.


Alimony is the regular monetary allowance one ex-spouse may be required to pay the other after a divorce.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,841 answers this week

3,080 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,841 answers this week

3,080 attorneys answering