How can I get "Charged Off" records off my credit report?

Asked over 1 year ago - Walsenburg, CO

I have been disabled since 1998 and applied for SSD in 2001. I was denied in 2005 and unfortunately reapplied (due to Lawyer) and was finally approved in 2007. I was given retro benefits back to 2005 only because my lawyer didn't have me appeal, instead had me refile. I had to file bankruptcy in 2003 and that will be off my credit report this July. How do I get off the accounts that were "Charged Off" that I was unable to pay because of limited income? The dates are from 2008-2010 and they say won't be removed until approx. 2014-2019. Is there any way to get them off sooner?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Matthew Scott Berkus

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You can try disputing the accounts in the hope that the creditor won't verify. However, you have no basis to remove true and accurate (albeit negative) information from your credit report, and most negative items can be reported for 7 years.

  2. Deborah F Bowinski

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with the others. I also would ask this - why does it matter to you that they are there? Any future credit and lending decisions will be based not only on your credit score, but also on your income and ability to repay. If your incom is low and you were unable to pay previous debts it sounds as though incurring new debts may not be the best option for you to move forward.

  3. Robert John Murillo

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . There is no way to remove them sooner.

    This answer is for informational purposes only and is not legal advice regarding your question and does not... more
Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Instant span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now