Skip to main content

How can I find someone to help me with legal research for a criminal case?

Nashville, TN |

Most times when I post a question here, I get, "you should hire an attorney"... Well, I already have an attorney. We need help doing research for a criminal case. Can I hire someone in TN, or online anywhere, just to help us research?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


It's not clear why your attorney can't do the research him/herself. But you might contact the law schools in your area (Nashville School of Law or Vanderbilt) and see if any law students would be interested in the job. it would be cheaper than hiring another attorney to do the legal research.

Nothing in this communication should be construed as creating an attorney-client relationship. I provide this service for educational purposes only. I will take no action on your behalf unless you have hired me and a written retainer agreement is signed. I am licensed only in Tennessee and I strongly suggest you consult with an attorney in your city and state as Statute of Limitation deadlines can limit your recovery.


I'm not sure I understand. You have an attorney but this attorney is research challenged? Research is a lawyer's "stock in trade." A lawyer who can't do research is at a distinct disadvantage during the process of litigating a case. You need to find a lawyer who either can do the research or one who works in a firm where s/he has access to someone who can do the research. You shouldn't have to pay extra for another lawyer to perform a fundamental task. Now, if you are talking about research for an appeal, your lawyer should be able to at least do the preliminary research, but you should hire an appellate attorney to do the papers and the argument.

I am a co-author of WEITZ ON AUTOMOBILE LITIGATION: THE NO FAULT HANDBOOK. The opinions expressed in this answer are not intended to be taken as legal advice. These opinions are based on New York practice. I may be contacted at 212-553-9300.


I would head over to the Nashville School of Law and tell the placement office that you need a law clerk. Good luck.

If you would like a consultation, call (865) 522-9000 to make an appointment. The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. We invite you to contact us and welcome your calls. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer