How can I find someone to help me with legal research for a criminal case?

Asked about 1 year ago - Nashville, TN

Most times when I post a question here, I get, "you should hire an attorney"... Well, I already have an attorney. We need help doing research for a criminal case. Can I hire someone in TN, or online anywhere, just to help us research?

1. Stephen Alan Sauer

1

Best Answer

Answered . It's not clear why your attorney can't do the research him/herself. But you might contact the law schools in your area (Nashville School of Law or Vanderbilt) and see if any law students would be interested in the job. it would be cheaper than hiring another attorney to do the legal research.

2. Andrew Lawrence Weitz

Pro

4

Answered . I'm not sure I understand. You have an attorney but this attorney is research challenged? Research is a lawyer's "stock in trade." A lawyer who can't do research is at a distinct disadvantage during the process of litigating a case. You need to find a lawyer who either can do the research or one who works in a firm where s/he has access to someone who can do the research. You shouldn't have to pay extra for another lawyer to perform a fundamental task. Now, if you are talking about research for an appeal, your lawyer should be able to at least do the preliminary research, but you should hire an appellate attorney to do the papers and the argument.

3. Edwin Arnold Anderson

Pro

1

Answered . I would head over to the Nashville School of Law and tell the placement office that you need a law clerk. Good luck.