How can i find out who is garnishing my wages?

Asked over 1 year ago - San Diego, CA

my employer said that he cannot tell me who is garnishing my wages

1. Carl H Starrett II

5

Answered . No only is your employer allows to tell you, the are REQUIRED to tell you. When the Sheriff's department served the garnishment order on your employer, there was an instruction telling them to give you certainly paperwork related to the garnishment.

I agree with the suggestion of scheduling a meeting with the HR department to see if you can get copies of the applicable documents. You should probably file for a claim of exemption to see if you can stop the wage garnishment and then make an appointment when a local bankruptcy attorney to see about getting rid of this debt.

My office is located in El Cajon if you wish contact me for a free consultation.

2. Matthew Michael Loker

4

Answered . You should speak with someone else in HR because that is not correct. Your employer can give you that info since it is your wages

3. Brian Campbell Fenn

2

Answered . Here is the form that your employer likely received informing him that he needed to withhold money from your checks. Take a look at #1 on page one, and then go back to your employer with confidence that he needs to provide you with the information you requested:

http://www.courts.ca.gov/documents/wg002.pdf

It may also be the case that you are being garnished if you owe back taxes or child/spousal support. The form would be different, but the employer would still need to tell you.

4. Kelly Dean Stairs

1

Answered . The information will be in the garnishment order and various other documents you should have received. If you did not receive those documents, you can acquire them from the public records. If you cannot acquire or find any of those documents, you can consult with an attorney and outline your debt obligations, and that will provide a good foundation for the attorney to conduct and investigation and find out who is garnishing your wages and why.

5. Susan Kathryn Ashabraner

1

Answered . I agree with Mr. Starrett. Your employer was REQUIRED to give you a copy of the Earnings Withholding Order along with Employee Instructions (http://www.courts.ca.gov/documents/wg003.pdf) PRIOR to commencing the garnishment.