How can I find out who has custody of my child if my name was never on her birth certificate and the mother doesnt have her?

Asked about 5 years ago - Ocala, FL

I have been looking for my daughter for almost 8 years. I found the mother and she told me that she hasnt had our daughter for about 7 years or so. States she gave custody to her grandparents. I never knew about this because the mother didnt put my name on our daughters birth certificate and they took off when the childs mother was in trouble with the law. I want custody of my daughter but need was told I needed a copy of the actual custody agreement first. What can I do? My daughter was born in Ocala, FL. The mother gave up my daughter while still living in Florida (either Tampa or Ocala) but the child now lives in Georgia.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Marshall William Waller


    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . I would go to teh police and the District Attorney and ask for their help.

    Disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

22,716 answers this week

2,627 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

22,716 answers this week

2,627 attorneys answering