How can I find out the date that my auto injury case was settled and when the check was deposited into attorneys trust acct.?

Orlando, FL |

Other than asking the attorney? If not otherwise possible how do I demand valid authenticated proof of the dates? I doubt the insurance Co. will even speak with me since I have an attorney on the job. I require validation because I believe the attorney acted in a criminal manner and wish to have all the facts so I can exonerate him from this suspicion. I hope he is not guilty of wrong doing but I never authorized settlement amongst other problems with this guy and I may need to confront him with facts so we can come to an amicable conclusion instead of a lawsuit for malpractice

maybe he just has a lousy staff who are actually the ones doing these things and he has no clue as to what has gone on. Either way I want to bring the facts not feelings

The disciplinary board will get you an answer with lightning speed.

The settlement agreement may be on file with the court where the lawsuit was initiated.....check there and if no copy of the settlement agreement then there will be a record of the case being settled for court purposes. Florida court records and abstracts of motions, filings, etc. Can be obtained online. The settlement agreement however will NOT be accessible online. You will have to go to the courthouse records dept.

My answer is not intended to be giving legal advice and this topic can be a complex area where the advice of a licensed attorney in your State should be obtained.

Thanks but this was an auto accident with a contingency attorney . A formal suit would not have been filed in any court as far a as I know all that happened was a single demand letter was sent by my attorney with a first offer reply by Mercury Ins. Co. which was accepted without my knowledge or authorization 6 months ago. I just found out about it this week :( Not acceptable

John P Corrigan

John P Corrigan

If you did not authorize the settlement then e attorney has not author to do so. In addition, the insurance company would have wanted a rlease from you that you would have to sign as well. I think you have no choice but to first call the lawyer and demand a recitation of what transpired and a copy of all relevant documents. If he does not produce then tell him you are going to file a grievance with the state bar disciplinary committee. You can then go to the insurance company directly asking for copies of all communications and tell them you did not execute any settlement or release and, further, that attorney did not consult with you nor did you approve any settlement.

Thank you

Try calling the insurance company and asking them when the check was cashed, explain yourself, they probably will talk to you under those circumstances. Other than that, file a complaint with your statewide grievance committee against the lawyer.

This is general advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.

Professional ethics topics