How can I find out more information on a citation that was issued to me, but never received ???

Hastings, MN |
Filed under: Traffic stops

On July 20, 2006, the St Paul Police issed a citation #90618461 for Theft. I was unaware of this until recently and have been unable to find someone to answer my questions. Along with this citation, a court date of January 18,2007 was given. I was not living in Minnesota at the time and was unaware of this and on February 12,2007 a warrant was issued for my arrest.

I was told that I would have to pay a $300 cash bond and a new court date would be set.

My questions are as follows: 1. How do I find out what this is for and when I was notified of said citation. 2. What can I do to get this resolved and off my record.

I am currently umemployed and do not want this ordeal to revent me from securing a good paying job.

Thank you for your information and help.

Kim Merwin

In the situation you describe, the frist thing a person living in Minnesota would typically want to do would be to clear the arrest warrant by posting the $300 bail and getting a court date. Otherwise, a routine traffic stop could potentially result in a weekend in jail, for example.

When you go to court, you will be able to review the police reports and get more information about the claims against you.

The best thing to do to keep your public record clean would be to retain a good criminal lawyer. It is important to understand that if you plead guilty, if if no conviction ultimately results, the case would not qualify for eventual expungement under Minnesota's expungment statute, Chapter 609A.

In addition to the strategies recommended by my colleague, you could go to the Minnesota Courts Website and check the file yourself to see what has happened. You should get some legal advice on how to deal specifically with this situation.

Traffic tickets topics