How can i find out if my military court martial conviction was felonious?

Asked over 5 years ago - South Hill, VA

court martial in 1991. wrongful appropriation.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Michael E Hendrickson

    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . Arrange for a consultation with a competent criminal defense counsel in your area who also knows something about military law.

    M.E. Hendrickson, Esq.
    Alexandria, Virginia 22314

  2. Kevin Barry Mcdermott

    Contributor Level 6

    Answered . Simple.

    If you were tried in a general court martial for wrongful appropriation, it is a felony regardless of the time you received for a sentence. If the case was tried at a special court martial, it is a misdemeanor.

    If you faced charges at a summary court martial or an Article 15, [NJP], it is none of the above and should not be on your record at all.

    I would suggest that you go to the nearest police department or agency that allows you to do a background check on yourself. In California, you show up with an ID, provide prints and in some circumstances, get a print out on the spot. Usually, otherwise, within 6 weeks. With any luck, that conviction, whether a general or special court martial, may not be on your record at all as the military did a poor job of imputing convictions into the national criminal index system until the mid-90s.

    Get your records and if you still have questions, drop us a note.

Related Topics

Felony crime

A felony is a crime that is punishable by more than one year in prison. Certain especially severe felonies may be punishable by the death sentence.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,874 answers this week

3,099 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,874 answers this week

3,099 attorneys answering