How can I find out if my grandparents had a will?

Oroville, CA |

My grandparents died recently. My father and sister are handling the estate. they are telling me that there was no will. I believe there is a will that they are hiding. My grandparents told me about the will when they were living. How can I find out whether or not they had a will?

The wii would have to be filed if anything had to be probated.
It then becomes a public record which you would have access to.
If they destroyed an existing will because they did not like the the contents-that
would be a crime but you would have to prove it existed.
You could put an ad in the local Bar association paper asking if any attorney
has knowledge or copies of their wills.

The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of action is to have legal representation in this matter.

Mr. Pippen's answer is correct: 1. search home, 2. search probate records, 3. inquire of local attorneys.

This is not legal advice nor intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The information provided here is informational in nature only. This attorney may not be licensed in the jurisdiction which you have a question about so the answer could be only general in nature. Visit Steve Zelinger's website:

You will be notified of the probate by the executor and then you will have a chance to object. It would be helpful to have an attorney assist you in this matter as it may get complicated.

Wills and estates topics

Recommended articles about Wills and estates