How can I find out if my divorce is finial in Las Vegas?

Melbourne, FL |

I am active duty military and I filed for divorce when I lived in Las Vegas 2007. I filed all the paperwork myself, but am unsure if everything was done correctly. I don't live there any more. Should I find a lawyer in Las Vegas to help me if my divorce is not finalized yet?

1. It might be as easy as contacting the clerk of court (or at least checking the docket) and see if there was ever a final judgment entered. I'm not sure about the rules in Nevada (you might want to repost under Nevada in Avvo), but in Florida a judge wants to review the residency evidence so the petitioner has to make an appearance in court. If the case has been dismissed for lack for prosecution, you should have an attorney because trying to file in Nevada while stationed in Florida could be a real hassle.

Legal disclaimer: Ms. Braaten's answer to your question does not establish an attorney client relationship, but rather is meant to share knowledge with the general public. For specific advise on your case, you need to consult one on one with an family law attorney.

2. I agree with my colleague, you should be able to call the Clerk of Court or to view their online dockets to ascertain the status. If it has been dismissed for lack of prosecution, then you would have to file wherever you are eligible in terms of jurisdiction. Best of luck.

This answer is for general informational purposes only and should not be relied upon for your particular case nor is it intended as legal advice. I have not reviewed your case nor have I met with you and the answer to this question does not in any manner whatsoever establish an attorney/client relationship.

3. You don't need an attorney right now. Call the Clerk of Courts and ask or see if the court has records online. Try this http://www.clarkcountycourts.us/clerk/records-search.html

Attorneys on Avvo donate their time and your feedback is appreciated. Be sure to mark the "Best Answer" or Helpful" to your questions.