Skip to main content

How can I find out if my boyfriend has filed for divorce?

Denver, CO |
Filed under: Divorce

My boyfriend says he filed for divorce and it will be final in a few days. I think I need someone who has access to LexisNexis....

Attorney Answers 3


Ordinarily, you can go to the country clerk's office in the county in which the case is pending. Simply check the Plaintiff's index cards and you will find his name there. If not, then he doesn't have an action pending there. Why not just ask to see the divorce papers? He should have a copy of them, or he can get them from his attorney.

Good luck.

Mark as helpful


You could get a day pass to Lexis/Nexis - but it wouldn't help. A check of the open cases in the relevant county courthouse should be sufficient to determine if he has filed for divorce. Some courts have those records online and searchable by last name.

Mark as helpful


The Colorado Judicial Branch maintains a website that lists courts by county at Go to this webpage and click on the county in which your boyfriend lived with his soon-to-be ex. Then search the docket for the case.

The information provided to you in this answer is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation if you have further questions.

Mark as helpful

Divorce topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics