How can I find out if my bench warrant from Seattle Municiple court is extraditeable from California.

Asked about 4 years ago - Seattle, WA

I am unable to return to Washington State to appear for a misdemeanor bench warrant. Can I turn myself in in California, will I be extradited?

1. Gregory L Fullington

Answered . I suggest calling (or better yet, having someone call) SMC. Seek to speak to a clerk of the court and ask them. You can also hire an attorney to find this out for you.

2. Peter J Tomao

Answered . If you turn yourself in to a California court, the California authorities may hold you in jail while they notify the authorities in Washington. It will then be up to Washington to send someone to pick you up. I doubt that they would do that for a misdemeanor case. In the meantime you would have been in jail in California. If you ask for bail in California, the Court will probably require you to go back to Washington to answer the warrant. You don't explain why you are unable to return to Washington on your own but apparently would not object to being extradited to Washington. If your plan was to get Washington to pay for your trip, I doubt it will work.

You take real chance leaving this warrant open. An open warrant could prevent you from getting bail if you are arrested on another charge, Remember you don't have to be guilty to be convicted.

Contact a criminal defense attorney who regularly practices in the Seattle Municipal Court and make plans to clear up this warrant as soon as possible.

THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT LEGAL ADVICE. They are provided for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be provided after consultation by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation.