Skip to main content

How can i find out if im being sued

Lake Geneva, WI |

i received a post card stating that my legal papers are waiting i tried calling the number but noone answered. how can i find out what is going on

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Generally your best bet to determine if you are being sued is to call your local county courthouse. If your small claims court is separate you might have to call them as well. Debt collectors use a ton of gimmicks to scare people.


Scot is right but the papers should be "legally" served on you. Normally that could be done by a process server or a deputy sheriff in your home county. Most often it done by certified mail, so always pick up your mail. If none of the above is successful, it could be by publishing notice in the local newspaper. If you are concerned about it occurring in the future or recent past, you could check with the court clerk where you think it may have been filed. You could also subscribe to the local newspaper in the town where you used to live or where the courthouse is located, so if they try to serve you by "publication" (not often used and always used as a last resort), you might see it. If it is a current situation in another state or city, you can contact an attorney in that state or city and have them go to the courthouse and actually review the records to see. Also many court clerks now have their records online and you may be able to check it out yourself. If this answer was helpful, please give it a "Vote Up" below. Thanks for asking and good luck.

This answer is for general purposes only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Click the link to find a Consumer Law attorney near you.


Any filed civil suit usually becomes a matter of public record. You may inquire for a possible civil action against you by contatcting the respective clerk of the court of that jurisdiction.
Also, some jurisdictions have on line sites that permit checking that information on line by using a party name (either a plaintiff or respondent/defendant).

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one’s personal legal issues. Contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 101, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602


In Wisconsin, you can learn if any civil suits have been filed against you by a creditor through a search on the state's Circuit Court Access website (CCAP). Here is the link:

It may take a few days for any new filings to be updated, but you simply enter your first and last name and a full list of all filed cases statewide involving a party with that name will be provided.
I'm not sure who sent this postcard - It may just be a collection agency attempting to intimidate you - but you should receive proper service of the summons and complaint in the event that a civil suit has actually been filed. I hope this helps!


As the other Wisconsin attorney pointed out, our circuit courts have an online database where you can search filings sim

Shannon E Wynn

Shannon E Wynn


Simply by searching your name. If you need help, you can call my office. I am located in Lake Geneva as well.

Bankruptcy and debt topics

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer