Skip to main content

How can I find out if I have criminal charges against me in Australia?

Springfield, OR |

Last January I visited Australia and was given a public nuisance citation. The officer told me there might be charges drawn up against me the following week. The problem is my vacation was ending and I returned to Japan where I currently live. I have no idea if criminal charges ever were made against me.

Attorney Answers 2


Contact an attorney in the Australian province where you were cited and ask them if they can do a records search.

Please read the following notice: <br> <br> Jay Bodzin is licensed to practice law in the State of Oregon and the Federal District of Oregon, and cannot give advice about the laws of other jurisdictions. All comments on this site are intended for informational purposes only, and do not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. Each case is unique. You are advised to have counsel at all stages of any legal proceeding, and to speak with your own lawyer in private to get advice about your specific situation. <br> <br> Jay Bodzin, Northwest Law Office, 2075 SW First Avenue, Suite 2J, Portland, OR 97201 | Telephone: 503-227-0965 | Facsimile: 503-345-0926 | Email: | Online:

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


Mr. Bodzin is correct, your best bet is to contact an attorney in Australia about this. You might also be able to contact the Australian court and ask them if you have pending charges. You may also want to check the international law section of Avvo or if you can find a similar Australian site to post your question on. As with all criminal charges, remember do not discuss the specifics of your case with anyone except an attorney. Good Luck.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Civil rights topics

Recommended articles about Civil rights

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics