How can i find out if i am a beneficiary to my fathers life insurance

Asked over 4 years ago - Watertown, NY

my father just died and i am not sure if i am a beneficiary of his life insurance. I am not sure my step-mother will tell me if i am.

1. Ellen A. Victor

Answered . The executor of the estate has the legal duty to advise you if there is a life insurance policy naming you. Alternatively, if you know the name of the life insurance company and you have a copy of the death certificate, the insurance company may be able to tell you.

Disclaimer: Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on since each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.

2. Steven J. Fromm

Answered . The prior attorney has given you good advise. Also, if you have his check register for the last couple of years, you can see if he paid premiums to a life insurance company and checks may indicate the policy number.
    Also, who is the executor/rix of the estate? If it is your step-mother, she ultimately has a duty to deal with all of the assets of the decedent. She would breach her duty if she failed to inform the life insurance company of your father's death and to take the required steps to have the proceeds distributed.

Hope this helps.

LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law in PA. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. The response is only in the form of legal education and is intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Fromm strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to ensure proper advice is received.
    By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question.
    Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.