How can I find out if a sibling living in a different state filed a wrongful death lawsuit?

Asked about 2 years ago - Tucson, AZ

It is possible that a wrongful death lawsuit was filed by the sibling living in another state and the other siblings not notified of this.

Attorney answers (6)

  1. 9

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You would have received notice of the appointment of the Personal Representative. You can also search the County where you think a lawsuit may have been filed.

  2. 5

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The first question is "What is your relation to the deceased?" To bring a claim in Arizona you must be a statutory beneficiary (the surviving spouse, biological parents, legal guardian or one or more children of the deceased). The wrongful death case is usually filed in the venue where the death was caused. If suit has been filed you should be able to locate it via by doing an on-line case search. Fyi, due to a case called Wilmot, you may already be included in the existing case to some degree whether you like it or not.

    If you are a statutory beneficiary of the deceased, you may and should obtain your own attorney to represent your interests on a contingency basis.

    Feel free to call my office for a free consultation to discuss further. --When Results Matter Most-- 480-359-KENT(5368)
  3. 6

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes, but check the courthouse.

    Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755
  4. 5

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Generally the case is filled in the state where the death occurred or the accident that caused the death.

  5. 4

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Many jurisdictions have websites. Good luck.

    Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and... more
  6. 4

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You can check at the courthouse where the sibling lives, the courthouse where the acts leading to the claim took place, and/or the courthouse where the defendants reside or have their business. The latter two are more likely than the first and would be more appropriate. A private investigator could check these things very quickly.

    ---------- Original Message ----------

Related Topics

Wrongful death and personal injuries

Wrongful death lawsuits can be filed if someone’s death is thought to be the fault of another person or business, either intentionally or because of negligence.

Lawsuits and disputes

If you're faced with a dispute that can't be resolved by negotiation, a lawsuit may be necessary. It will allow you to seek a legally binding solution in court.

Avvo advisor logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 15-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $39 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Advisor span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now