Skip to main content

How can I find out how much money my ex husband makes per years? how can I get his taxes files to request child support?

Canton, GA |

He is a mechanic and I dont believe that he files all the money he makes. Now he sends $150 per month. I want to know how much he makes per year so I can request more.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


The IRS will not disclose this information to you under their privacy laws. The only way to get this information would be to hire family lawyer to challange the child support and have such lawyer force the disclosure of the tax information as part of the process. You need to consult with a qualified GA family lawyer in your area.

Hope this helps. If you think this post was helpful, please check the thumbs up (helpful) tab below. Thanks.
Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law in PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties and services clients throughout the state of Pennsylvania. He can be reached at 215-735-2336 or at the email address listed below. He is rated as an AV Preminent attorney from Lexis-Nexis Martindale Hubbell having the received the highest possble rating in legal ability and ethical standards. In addition, he has received a 10.0 rating from AVVO and recently was featured as a 5Star Wealth Manager in the Philadelphia Magazine, November 2009 issue on page 123.
Mr. Fromm is ethically required to state that the response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. Also, there are no recognized legal specialties under Pennsylvania law. Any references to a trust, estate or tax lawyer refer only to the fact that Mr. Fromm limits his practice to these areas of the law. These responses are only in the form of legal education and are intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Fromm strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to ensure proper advice is received.
By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction, who is familiar with your specific facts and all of the circumstances and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question.
Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.



I am in the same situation as this woman, the problem is I don't have the money to hire a lawyer. Can one due this without a lawyer?


As stated above, you can obtain this information through the discovery process in a family court proceeding. You should file a motion for modification of support.

THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT LEGAL ADVICE. They are provided for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be provided after consultation by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation.


In order to get the information you seek, you will need to file a Petition for Modification of Child Support and serve your ex-Husband with a Request for Production of Documents. He will be required to respond to your formal Discovery request within 30 or 45 days depending on when / how you serve him with the documents. You will likely need to hire an attorney to help you with the Discovery process as it can be complicated and difficult to enforce if done incorrectly. I strongly suggest you consult with an attorney about the steps involved in filing for your modification of child support action, as well as the Discovery request that you will need to file in conjunction with your Petition, so that you can get an accurate indication of exactly how much your ex-husband is earning.

If you would like to talk about things further in a free and confidential consultation, please do not hesitate to contact my office. Please know that this is a general interest posting and does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Child support topics

Recommended articles about Child support

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer