How can I find out how many trial felony cases an attorney has had? or how many bench cases?

Asked about 1 year ago - Chicago, IL

I want to know not just how many years experience an attorney has, I want to know how many clients s the attorney has had. how many felony trials as well as how many bench trials.

1. Judy A. Goldstein

12

Answered . The only way you can find out is to ask the attonrey who may or may not know those statistics. An attorney's record is not like an athlete's statistics. It is not published anywhere. Reputation and skill, plus compatibility with the client, not cold numbers, are what you should be considering when seeking to hire a lawyer.

2. Joshua Sachs

12

Answered . A track record by itself doesn't tell you thing. Does a high ratio of "not guilty' findings suggest a master trial attorney or a lawyer who avoids tough cases? Most of us don't bother to keep records of that kind of thing because they are meaningless. It can be very difficult even for an attorney, and almost impossible for a non-attorney, to evaluate the quality of a lawyer's work. There are too many variables. Reputation in the local legal community, in my opinion, remains the most reliable guide.

3. Jeffrey Allen Fagan

9

Answered . You can easily find out how long an attorney has been practicing using this site. In terms of the other statistics, you can ask the attorney. Most attorneys dont track how many clients, how many bench or jury trials, or how many not guilty's they've gotten.
    This is primarily due to the fact that stats don't matter much. I know lawyers practicing under a year that have been able to obtain results that even more experienced attorneys find impressive.
    Find someone you trust and are comfortable with.

4. Melissa I. Smejkal

7

Answered . Ask the attorney. There is no where to look it up.

5. Raymond George Wigell

Pro

3

Answered . With the exception of years in practice, numbers are not available. Focus on the factors you suggest is not determinative in a particular future case. Reputation in the legal community and the connection between attorney and potential client are subjective but more important than numbers. Interviewing multiple attorneys is a subjective but better approach. The attorney should take time to listen to the potential client.

6. Robert Jason De Groot

Pro

3

Answered . I practice mainly in Volusia County Florida, and the clerk we have has a list of each and every case I have handled in this county. It does not provide the outcome of the case, but each individual case file would. I used to keep track, but do not anymore. You need to speak with each attorney that you might hire about his or her capability and experience.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq.,