How can I find legal help reviewing financial aid with my current school?

Asked 10 months ago - Pepperell, MA

My financial aid does not seem right and has not seemed right since I transferred schools two years ago. I have owed money since I transferred when I should not have (the semesters did not overlap) and today I have an email suddenly that says I owe more than $2,000. This can't be correct. Help?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. E. Alexandra Golden

    Contributor Level 19


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Start by talking to the financial aid office at your school. If you're not satisfied with the answer, there are private financial aid counselors, as these people will generally be more familiar with the financial aid rules than attorneys and cost less. Look for one who has worked in the financial aid office of a college or university.

    E. Alexandra "Sasha" Golden is a Massachusetts lawyer. All answers are based on Massachusetts law. All answers are... more
  2. Michael A. Satterwhite

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . I am sorry to hear that. School can be very expensive. I am not sure what kind of help you are asking for? You should speak to the financial department at your school. If they are doing something unfair and deceptive, then you seek an attorney.

    The information on this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. Attorney Satterwhite invites you to... more

Related Topics

Nondischargeable debt and student loans

Student loans cannot normally be discharged in bankruptcy. Unlike most other types of debt, student loans are nondischargeable--except in cases of hardship.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,663 answers this week

2,901 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,663 answers this week

2,901 attorneys answering