How can I find an immigration lawyer?

Boston, MA |

I am coming from a politically troubled country in Africa,and I have tried to find a lawyer to represent me in filing for asylum in Boston to no avail.

I have been here for 7 months,I do not work since I have no social,so I need a free or Volunteer Immigration lawyer to represent me.

Why would a lawyer not represent you? That is quite unusual as that is what we do... Have they told you that they do not believe you qualify for any relief after a thorough evaluation of your case? Asylum is very particular and it may be that you do not meet the requirements to apply. You can look for an attorney here on avvo or also on the AILA website. I would suggest making a few consultations and then choosing someone to represent you if you both agree. Good Luck.

Massachusetts Immigration Attorney
www.gagarinlaw.com

I have been to CLSACC in Cambridge and they say they are overwhelmed by cases that have reached their 1year application deadline. So I really have to find one before I get into that 1 year dilemma.

Kira Gagarin

Kira Gagarin

Yes, you likely have to pay for the service of a lawyer, like the services of any other professional. You should try to hire a lawyer well before your one year is up to give that lawyer time to submit your case. Again, good luck.

Like I said I am looking for a free or volunteer lawyer to help with my case,since I do not work as I have no Social,I guess that is why they are harder to come by.

Kira Gagarin

Kira Gagarin

Asylum cases are A LOT of work. Try the Irish International Immigration Center or the PAIR project...

I agree with my colleague. AILA or Catholic Charities can also refer you to an asylum lawyer in your area

Thanks Karen,I have been in touch with Catholic Charities and I have to wait till they have the next Intake Clinic which they are not sure is when. But thanks all the same.

Look for a cgarity organization.

Agree with my colleagues.

An attorney-client relationship is not formed by my responses to questions on Avvo. My responses are not intended to be legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice.

You may also want to contact the Massachusetts Bar Association.