How can I find an Honest Helpful Lawyer? I have been ripped off by attorney's and property managers. How can I remove a tenant ?

Dearborn, MI |

Tenant has not paid rent for many months. Property managers has not collected rent for over four month as I am aware. I have sacked them because they been ripping me off by over charging on repairs that was not even necessary. I have Sent notice of eviction to this tenant. She is a foul mouth swearing woman. I am afraid she will damage the house, that was restored 8 months ago. I would like to pay per Action, NOT HOURLY Rate or a RETAINER like $1000 up front, some asks. The house is in RIOPELLE Street 48203. Need Itemized Cost, per Letter, per Court Cost, per Attendance etc
I am living in Australia and everyone I have dealt with taken advantages of me.
Thank You.

Contact your local apartment owner's association and ask who their members use. Your local bar association may also have some pro bono project dedicated to helping unrepresented tenants. These folks can tell you who does good clean work.

2. I agree with my colleague, if you are looking for an attorney who regularly represents landlords - contact the local bar association or local landlord association to see who others recommend.

See:

http://www.thelpa.com/lpa/associations/michigan.html

If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. This answer is for general education purposes only. It neither creates an attorney-client relationship nor provides legal guidance or advice. The answer is based on the limited information provided and the answer might be different had additional information been provided. You should consult an attorney.

3. Dear everyone I have dealt with takes advantage?

I am an attorney licensed in New York. I do not practice law in Michigan.

I can empathize with the frustration of long-distance legal representation. All ordinary aspects of an attorney and client relation are strained by distance.

You certainly need a local attorney you trust as there is no practical way to protect your investment without a hands-on attorney. Your attorney may have information that may lead you to select a more dependable property manager.

You might check for a local attorney by starting here:

http://www.avvo.com/landlord-tenant-lawyer/mi/dearborn.html

You have the right to negotiate your own fee arrangement with an attorney. You should understand that your attorney is not a business partner or a financier for your rental property business. In my experience, attorneys are loath to take on a litigation matter for a flat rate. Litigation does not easily fit into a one-size fits all. Each matter will take on its on life. Your tenant may be a handful and engage in many tried and true delays and stalls in a lawsuit. Your attorney should not necessarily be the one professional you hire who has to absorb the time (and expense) in dealing with a problem tenant, and a sacked and untrustworthy property manager. Your attorney needs some person with actual knowledge of facts to establish and prove your eviction case. If you insist on a flat fee, that might turn out to be far more than you would pay on an hourly rate charged against a retainer.

The answer provided to you is in the nature of general information. The general proposition being that you should try to avoid a bad outcome if you can.

4. Some ways to find an honest lawyer are by asking your family and friends if there is someone they recommend. You can also call the court and sometimes the court staff will recommend an attorney. Also, you can research attorneys to see if they've ever been disciplined by the state bar.

Please note that Attorney's Answer is only the Attorney's opinion and is not to be construed as creating an attorney client relationship. If you wish to discuss retaining my services, I can be reached at (810) 434-1147.

5. I am sorry to hear about the problems you have had with previous attorneys and property management companies. We are located in Redford Township; about 2 to 3 miles north of Dearborn. We represent a number of landlords and do so on a cost per action basis as you have described.

We also have a property management division with very transparent costs that I believe you would find helpful. I have put links to our web sites below. If you would like further information, please email us through the web site. We would be happy to provide you with a sample fee agreement and property management agreement.

This response applies to Michigan law only. This initial response to your question(s) is for general purposes, only, and is based upon the limited information you have provided. Therefore, this general answer should not be relied upon as a reason for your action or inaction. This response does not establish an attorney-client relationship; such a relationship may only be established by the signing of a written retainer agreement, and the payment of the agreed upon retainer. Please call me, or another attorney of your choice, with more details, and for an appointment to discuss same. Thank you for this opportunity to address your question(s).

6. First there honest earnest Attorneys out there. Also I do not doubt you may have been taken advantage of . However because you live literally on the other side of the world there would be some concern about receiving payment. As for the foul mouthed tenant possibly offer her some cash to agree to move out and leave the property broom clean. This approach is used by some financial institutions to prevent dispossessed persons from trashing a property.
    Good luck

I am only admitted to the MI bar therefore this is only general advice it is highly recommended to contact an attorney in your area for definitive guidance. Any advice given does not create an attorney-client relationship.