How can I find an attorney who's speciality is obtaining Social Security Disability?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Islip, NY

Can anyone direct me as to how to find an attorney who specializes in obtaining social security disability? I live in Islip, NY and haven't been able to find anyone in my area. Thanks so much for your help.

1. Brian S Wayson

10

Answered . Call me! - Sorry just kidding. I would suggest -

Contact NOSSCR to find a Social Security attorney in your area, look for one offering a free no-obligation initial consultation (most do) then meet with one or more and sign up with one you are comfortable with.

NOSSCR Lawyer Referral Service - For help in finding attorney representation, contact its lawyer referral service during Eastern business hours:

800-431-2804 http://www.nosscr.org/referral.html

or your local / state bar association and see if they have a referral service.

A search on Avvo for Social Security Attorney and Islip, NY turns up five attorneys in that area...

2. Gerald Gregory Lutkenhaus

8

1

Answered . In addition to the above you should be wary of contacting firms on TV or on the internet who are out-of-state. You should be able to find highly rated lawyers through NOSSCR and AVVO who are familiar with your doctors and judges. Also, the local attorney can meet with you and your witnesses. Do you want to meet your attorney for the first time at the hearing? I think not!

3. John Vincent Tucker

Pro

8

Answered . In addition to the answer above, you can also contact the National Organization of Disability Representatives (NADR). Their organization is comprised of attorneys and non-attorneys that handle Social Security Disability claims. They have a "Find a Representative" page on their website at: http://www.nadr.org/mc/page.do?sitePageId=56811....

4. Clifford Michael Farrell

6

Answered . My colleagues responses are all good. In addition, you can find a Board certified specialist in Social Security by contacting the National Board of Trial Advocacy. They evaluate lawyers (independently) in many types of claims and require extensive expereince and testing before a lawyer is certified. They have a section specifically for Social Security: The National Board of Social Security Disability Advocacy, Divisions of the National Board of Legal Specialty Certification.

Their link is: http://www.nblsc.us/

Good luck to you.

5. Peter Georgiou

3

Answered . Please call my office. I work with a SSA attorney that travels all over the United States.

Peter
    617 547-9600