How can I find a lawyer or an organization who is specialized in domestic violence and can help with my case?

Asked 10 months ago - Orlando, FL

I have gone through severe abuse, and my ex has moved away with our child. I have no contact to my child any longer. My ex remarried within a month, and even if we were going to raise our son together, he moved him to another county in Florida. I don't even know exactly were they live right now, and my child is being raised by another woman.

The police is not the answer for me, because of the abusive relationship was in, and I have to find a way to work it out in court instead. Money is an issue, and I don't know where to get the help needed. Are there any pro bono lawyers or organizations around Orlando who can help? Where do I turn? Do I dare to go to court on my own otherwise?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Robert Jason De Groot


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Set up an appointment with the local legal aid office. The best way to get something done about this is to hire an experienced family attorney in the area.

    R. Jason de Groot, Esq.,
  2. Arica Lynn Braaten


    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Contact your county's local bar association and see if they have a low cost attorney referral service.

    Legal disclaimer: Ms. Braaten's answer to your question does not establish an attorney client relationship, but... more
  3. Betty Elaine Jones

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Contact the Orange County Bar Association and ask them if there is a legal aid organization in your county that can assist financially challenged people who need court intervention. Good luck.

    B. Elaine Jones, Esq.

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Divorce and Spousal Abuse

Divorce is always an option for someone who is being abused by his or her spouse. The freedom to leave your marriage is an American right.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,565 answers this week

3,086 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,565 answers this week

3,086 attorneys answering