Skip to main content

How can I file Civil Assault and Battery Claims? What kind of compensation should I be asking for?

Cypress, TX |

I was the victim of an assault & battery case. The kids (17,19) of my bf(at that time) and the kids' mom (ex-wife) lock me in the house and assault me. They used tie-wrap and duct tape on me, does that consider weapon? Would this consider a Family Violence case? How and where should I start a lawsuit? I was hospitalized for 5 days and i'm going to counseling every other week for PTSD. What kind of compensation would I entitle?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


First, you should report this to the authorities. That should be your number one consideration. Second, after you have helped them with their investigation, you should consider consulting with a personal injury attorney in your area.


You need to call your local police immediately and file a police report. Anything can be considered a deadly weapon, including hands and feet. It would be considered a family violence offense with regard to your ex-boyfriend and a regular assault with regards to the other people. It sounds like your injuries were severe enough that it may be categorized as Assault Causing Serious Bodily Injury, which is a felony. They could also be charged with unlawful restraint or kidnapping.

Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers offers everyone a free consultation to discuss their case. Feel free to call her office at 214-365-9800 to make an appointment (phones are answered 24 hours) or visit her website at for more information about her services and recent victories.


I agree with the other lawyers who advise you to contact police and make a report. It is family violence as it involved the father of your children. It would be an assault as well as a kidnapping.

A criminal prosecution could result in some compensation to you for your expenses. A civil lawsuit must be brought within 2 years of the incident.

Cynthia Henley

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer