How can I file a slander/defamation of character lawsuit in Florida?

Tampa, FL |

My co-workers filed grievances filled with lies & false accussations against me to my employer. I have been the manager of the team for 6 years. Yesterday I was forced to resign. I never had a chance to tell my side of the story or defend my professional reputation.

1. An employer can terminate you even if based on wrong information. You must be able to show that the motivation was based upon a protected status such as age, race, religion, etc.

Herbert Tan, Esq.
    E-mail: Herbert@tanlaws.com
    Website: www.tanlaws.com

The National Newark Building
    744 Broad Street, 16th Fl.
    Newark, New Jersey 07102
    (973) 735-2681 (W)
    (973) 735-2682 (F)

Manhattan Office
    305 Broadway, 14th Floor
    New York, New York 10007
    (888) TAN-LAWS

Member of National Employment Lawyers Association (NELA)

2. You may have a defamation claim but only if the co-workers made statements of fact which are false; versus opinions. Also, they may have a qualified privilege for reporting to an employer. You would be best with a consultation with a local defamation attorney, but you can file yourself with various forms available on the Internet, though I do not recommend that course of action.

3. Stuart is correct. You would want to speak with counsel before proceeding to do anything with the Courts. Depending on the motivations of your team, it is possible you could have a legal claim for discrimination, but many more facts would be needed. Never advisable to file a suit without legal counsel. Also keep in mind that filing against individuals will very seldom get you relief as they would need to have the resources to pay a judgment.