Skip to main content

How can I file a claim for over $3000.00 in Michigan if I live in Iowa?

Fort Madison, IA |

My ex husband and I had a vehicle that was repossessed. I was the cosigner. I was garnished for the whole amount. I know I have to go to Michigan to file if he live in Michigan.

How do I file a claim?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Your post is confusing. As I understand what you wrote, you and your husband had a car repo'd. The lender sued you in MI and obtained a judgment for the amount left on the loan after your car was auctioned off. Your wages were then garnished to cover this. What "claim" do you think you have? Against whom? The lender has every right to collect the ENTIRE amount from you (or your husband - whomever he can), so why are you thinking you can sue anyone over this?

We can be reached at 507.334.0155. Our web address is: www. Answers on Avvo are not to be considered a response to a specific legal issue in a specific jurisdiction - they are to be considered only general responses to hypothetical scenarios posed by the questioner. For specific legal advice, please consult with a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction. No information contained herein should be construed as a solicitation for business, an offer to perform legal services in any jurisdiction in which the attorneys of Corbin Law Office are not licensed, or the dissemination of legal advice. No creation of an attorney-client relationship should be assumed or implied. We are a debt relief agency. Corbin Law Office helps people file for bankruptcy relief under the bankruptcy code.



I am looking to sueing my ex husband. Both of our name was on the judgement, however I was the one to pay the entire $ amount. I was garnished because of this. Do I have a claim to collect half the amount from the judgement from my ex husband. This judgement was filed before we were divored, but we were seperated. I started paying the garnishment 1 month after the divorce was final. Do I have a claim against him?(my ex husband)


A claim against who? This is confusing. Try to repost with the facts.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about.

Bankruptcy and debt topics

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer