How can I fight against child support?

Asked over 4 years ago - New York, NY

I should not pay child support if I already take care of my son

1. Mark S Guralnick

Answered . If you already take care of your son, you may not be required to pay child support, or perhaps not as much support as you're being asked to pay. In most states, the amount you must pay for child support depends on a variety of factors, which may include your earnings and income, the other parent's earnings and income and the time-sharing arrangement between you (custody and visitation rights). So, for example, if your child lives with you full-time, you wouldn't be paying any child support (except in the sense that you'd already be paying to support your child on a day-to-day basis). If your son stays with you on weekends or other time intervals, your state's child support guidelines will probably give you a credit for the amount of time you spend with the child. On the other hand, if you are "taking care" of your child by buying him food or clothing, that probably won't lower your child support obligation. We represent clients throughout New York. Feel free to contact me at 1-866-337-2900. Mark S. Guralnick, Esq.