How can I fight a Restraining Order Violation in California?

Asked about 3 years ago - Garden Grove, CA

My ex-wife and I divorced 6 years ago. We have a 7 year old son together. There is a Restraining Order against me. Recently I just got arrested for violating my Restraining Order for texting my ex-wife to ask about our son. There were no threats no name calling in the message. She took that text message to the local PD and claimed that I violated the order. My ex-wife has been using this order as the weapon to put have me arrested. The question I have is. Is there any way to fight this violation in court? Should I go all the way to trial and let the jurors decide whether this case can be dismissed? Please give me some advice...My court date Is coming up soon. Thanks!!!

1. Cherie Lynn Brenner

Answered . You have to review what the court order says that placed the restaining order on you in the first place. If you have a child together, the court usually orders some form of communication. This could be through a third person. You left out a lot of facts dealing with why there is a restaining order in the first place. I also don't know if you have any custody arraignment or visitation. If the call was not in violation of the court order you should fight it. If you want a contact order to talk with the child, visitation etc, that is done in family court. You really should contact an attorney to review all the facts. Remember, if in the future you do want visitation etc, having convictions for violating court orders is going to be frowned on by the family law court.

2. Maltaise E Cini

Answered . As the prior attorney indicated you must review the restraining order to see what the terms of the order are. Some restraining orders state "no contact" other restraining orders allow for "peaceful contact" or contact regarding children are to be done via text as opposed to in person. Can you fight the charges is dependent on 1. the terms of the restraining order. Without knowing all the facts it is difficult to give you advice on fighting these charges.

I do not know what the custodial arrangements are between you and your wife, however you want to make sure that this arrest and possible conviction does not impact your child custody.

949-660-1389