How can I fight a contractor who is overcharging me for services?

I recently had a contractor to lay wood flooring and trim. After the job was started he tells me that he did not included certain trim and work in his quote which was to be added per our discussion. On he final bill the cost of labor and material was about three times what it should of been. The floor was chipped and quality of workmanship was poor. I have paid him what was on the quote ,but on the extra . He will not provide me with any receipts for material . I kept a log for his labor and he has padded his labor on this as well.

New Bremen, OH -

R. Russell O'Rourke

R. Russell O'Rourke

Construction / Development Lawyer - Cleveland, OH

The really short answer is YES, you do have a lot of rights!

Ohio has VERY STRICT CONSUMER LAWS: Your project sounds like a new floor in your house. If this is for YOUR house, as opposed to a commercial project or a rental property, you have a LOT of rights, which may include triple damages with attorneys' fees and/or a possible cancelation of your contract and return of all of your money. Ohio's consumer laws are even more strict if the sale was a "Home Solicitation" (the Home Solicitation portion of the Act starts at 1345.21 contained in the link below).

Based upon the information in your question, if this project is not for your residence there are still a lot of rights that you have for breach of contract and damages. You should talk to an Ohio Construction Lawyer who understands this area of the law. You may be able to get a good resolution by merely having the lawyer write a letter and talk to the contractor, or it may be more involved. For the best answer, you really need to talk to a local lawyer who can review your documents, if you have any, and discuss your case more in-depth that you could possibly write here. Check on Avvo for a lawyer close to you.

Michael T Millar

Michael T Millar

Real Estate Attorney - Toms River, NJ

You should consult with a consumer protection attorney.

Related Advice