Skip to main content

How can I evict a roommate from my rented home? I am on a lease, the roommate is not. I live in the state of Florida.

Indian Harbour Beach, FL |

I signed a lease June 1st, 2012 to live in a home. My landlord knew I would have a roommate. I pay the rent, my roommate handles the utilities and two of the utility bills are currently in his name and he receives mail at my address. I have given him sixty days verbal notice the leave the premise; he is not paying all of his bills as agreed upon, is inviting guests into the home far too often (25 days out of a 31 day month) , throwing parties with underage drinking. When asked to stop these behaviors, my roommate threatened me legally and sexually. He is refusing to leave unless I pay him $1,100 which he paid in portions in a security deposit upon entering the home. Is there any way I can remove him from the property or insure he will leave if I pay the deposit to him directly?

Attorney Answers 2

  1. Because he has been living there, receiving mail, and making some payments, he ulus a tenant and therefore you would have to give him written notice of eviction and follow the Florida Statutes. I would suggest you actually hire an attorney given the circumstances.

    Statements made in response to questions on this site are for informational purposes only and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.

  2. i agree that the roommate may be a sub-tenant of yours (as you are the sub-landlord). You rent the home, then have rented out space to the roommate in exchange for the payment of the utility bills. You can issue the 3-day notice to pay or vacate and start an eviction procedure against him, however, there is the issue of the threat of physical/sexual harm.

    Before making the demand to pay, I suggest immediately seeking a Protective Order to remove the roommate immediately. Threats of physical harm should never be taken lightly. You should contact a local attorney immediately to protect yourself.

Landlord-tenant law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics