How can I evict a roommate from my rented home? I am on a lease, the roommate is not. I live in the state of Florida.

Indian Harbour Beach, FL |

I signed a lease June 1st, 2012 to live in a home. My landlord knew I would have a roommate. I pay the rent, my roommate handles the utilities and two of the utility bills are currently in his name and he receives mail at my address. I have given him sixty days verbal notice the leave the premise; he is not paying all of his bills as agreed upon, is inviting guests into the home far too often (25 days out of a 31 day month) , throwing parties with underage drinking. When asked to stop these behaviors, my roommate threatened me legally and sexually. He is refusing to leave unless I pay him $1,100 which he paid in portions in a security deposit upon entering the home. Is there any way I can remove him from the property or insure he will leave if I pay the deposit to him directly?

Because he has been living there, receiving mail, and making some payments, he ulus a tenant and therefore you would have to give him written notice of eviction and follow the Florida Statutes. I would suggest you actually hire an attorney given the circumstances.

Statements made in response to questions on this site are for informational purposes only and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.

I really don't have the funds to fire an attorney at the moment and am considered just breaking my lease and leaving the home to get him out of my life since he is threatening me and becoming a physical danger to myself. What are the Florida is Statutes? I was having difficulty finding what I could actually do as I wasn't the home owner and if I needed to involve my landlord.

i agree that the roommate may be a sub-tenant of yours (as you are the sub-landlord). You rent the home, then have rented out space to the roommate in exchange for the payment of the utility bills. You can issue the 3-day notice to pay or vacate and start an eviction procedure against him, however, there is the issue of the threat of physical/sexual harm.

Before making the demand to pay, I suggest immediately seeking a Protective Order to remove the roommate immediately. Threats of physical harm should never be taken lightly. You should contact a local attorney immediately to protect yourself.

Landlord-tenant topics

Recommended articles about Landlord-tenant